Last day in Singapore

My last full day in Singapore. Tomorrow 00:30 I fly back home. My suitcase is half packed. My work installed and running, title:  'Walk in comfort', 4 min 2 sec

My work is about the flow, the guidance of the people through the city, through the shopping centers and shopping-malls, led by the air con system, observed by the cameras, the paths are defined, they always lead to the places, where the money can be spent easily. These cool spaces do not only attract by the cold airstream, but also awake new desires, like the needs for woolly caps, scarves and winter jackets.In 2018 two hundred km of new sheltered sidewalks will be built to ‘Walk in comfort’, which is also the name of my work, a crazy journey through the futuristic shopping malls, the business district and the network of metro and shopping temple at the same time.Above all this there is the noisiest sound I heard in this city, the never ending roaring and screechy howling of the huge and tired ventilators.In the end there is quietness, a last look out onto nature, the display of some sad frogs waiting in a tank to be consumed by some hungry passers-by. 

In a time, when there are thoughts about energy waste and how to recycle energy, it would make sense to have all the air-cons adjusted by +1° or +2°. This would make it much more comfortable to switch between the warmth and the cold, of course this would have an effect on economy, but I am sure there will be other ways and new possibilities to generate money.


Link to my video: Walk in comfort




Photo by Isabelle Lim