A nice stroll


So I booked an early flight, departure 7:15 am; no problem at all  I thought, I would go to bed early and wake up with the chirping of birds. So at 4:30 I peeled myself out of bed, did 100 things, finally watered my plants and surprisingly arrived super tightly at Zurich Airport, with a buffer of  tiny 30 minutes until boarding time, but I was in time, despite the miserably long queue at the luggage check. I almost fell asleep on the plane and the flight seemed incredibly short to me at all. At the airport Marco Polo Venezia I bought a bus ticket right away, I wanted to see something of the surroundings, because I have already travelled a few times with the vaporetto. The journey by bus to Piazzale Roma took 30 minutes, it is the place, where the train stops as well, but some cars still jet through. Where would they go I wonder. 

I booked a hotel near Piazza San Marco, easy to find, if I follow the signs. I took it slowly, thougt of it like a nice stroll, looked at everything, left and right; the Spar shop in the old Teatro Italiano was certainly a highlight that I didn't know yet. Many corners were still known to me from the last trip, with others I wasn't sure if I hadn‘t just passed by. Finally I reached the Rialto Bridge, crossed it and went on, but my light weight suitcase miraculously became heavier and heavier the more bridges I had to overcome. And suddenly I wasn't quite so sure if it was really such a good idea to walk all the way and I wondered for a while why this stroll took so long and whether the signposts were perhaps manipulated so that visitors had to make a pilgrimage past as many shops and restaurants as possible. In any case, I was not irritated that I read Ferrovia again and again until at some point I realised that I was actually strayed from the good way and was travelling back towards Piazzale Roma. So I went back all the way, climbed the many steps of the Rialto Bridge again and cursed a little, until I finally found a signpost to San Marco. The sun had already burned a little memory onto my neck, when I finally found the piazza, I ignored the old venerable Doge's Palace, just passed the Bridge of Sighs without looking much, until I finally reached my hotel, where I realized, that I had been walking for three hours and it didn't even occur to me once to use my app to let myself navigate safely to my destination on the shortest route. So this can happen if you book the cheapest and earliest flight. But then, there is the saying, the journey is the destination.